Friday, February 4, 2011

Lemons, grapefruit & oranges, OH MY!

Still working on some of my citrus that I acquired on my trip to FL last month.  I have had little motivation to do much with it.  Partly because the freezer is filled to the max and I don't have the space for most of it.  Luckily, Nay had given me a plethora of baby food jars to use so I filled up quite a few and they are in a box in the freezer.  I found that we used quite a bit of the fresh lemon juice last year.  The nice part is that when you know you have it and it is REALLY good, you use it!
 I have 2 things going on in the photo below: pickling rinds and preserving.
 Pickled rinds??  Not really, see, I read that if you soak rinds in white vinegar for 3 weeks, double strain when done, you have a great household cleaner!   I already use vinegar in my wash and in some of my spray bottles thru out the house.  If you use the lemon vinegar in the wash, it is supposed to brighten whites.  And don't you love the citrus smell when you clean?   I do.
We were bestowed with some Meyer Lemons this year.   They are different than regular lemons in that they are a blend of lemon and some type of orange.  So they are a bit different.  Every recipe that I have found to preserve lemons called for us to use Meyer Lemons.  Last year, that wasn't an option....this year... Jackpot! If you are interested, just do a search for preserved lemons and you will find quite a few recipes.
Definitely, one of our favorite things!
I also preserved a jar of grapefruits.  Who knows what they will taste like or what we'll use them for, but what do we have to lose?
I zested the grapefruit before juicing it to drink.  I air dried it and now
super-duper-super-sucked
it into a mason jar.  Not sure what we'll use it for, but it sure smells nice!

The other use of the citrus that I didn't zest is that after juicing, I cut the rinds into 1/8ths and stacked them into a freezer bag and tossed them into the freezer.  They are supposed to be great to use in the garbage disposal when it gets smelly.
Yeah, that does happen around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment