Saturday, April 16, 2011

A new ironing board cover.

 My pathetic ironing board cover.
I've tried to replace it, but it appears that they don't make them for 57" boards anymore.
So I was down to buying a new board, which I thought was a bit silly as this one is perfectly good or, trying out my measly sewing skills on making a new one.
 Well, I tried for the latter.  I got me some cotton quilt batting in a crib size.  60" is what I needed!
I happened to have purchased some home decor fabric when we were in SF that never got used and it worked out that I had enough of it for this project!  When does that ever happen???
 I even quilted it so that it would not get all crooked on me when I ironed.  I did  wide strips and then tried to sew cross strips, but that is when I got into trouble: it started to pinch on me, so I stopped. 
 Then I used some scraps to make a tube to go on the edge.
 And used some heavy duty elastic to fish through.  Yikes, I got finger cramps trying to get it all the way around!
 Here is my completed ironing board cover!  Pretty, ain't it?
See the cross quilting at the bottom right?  I only did 2 strips of it.  No harm, no foul.
I had used the old cover as my "pattern".  That worked fairly well, but I think that I will be more generous with my dimensions when this one wears out and I need to make another one.  (I covered both sides of the quilt batting...so it should be a LONG time before I need to do another one!)
Overall, I'm extremely happy....it is nice and tight on the board AND with the padding, it feels thick without being springy, which, we all know wouldn't give a nice crisp ironed look...

Oh, and other than the cotton quilting, it was all USE IT UP supplies that created my pretty new cover...gotta love that!

No comments:

Post a Comment